Try Sailing with West Mersea Yacht Club
We are very pleased to be to offer a free “try sailing” session to people thinking about learning to sail, whether as crew or as prospective boat owners. Our friendly owner skippers are keen to share their enjoyment of these lovely waters.·
No skill needed –complete novices are as welcome as those who might wish to revisit sailing after a gap
· No upper age limit, just as long as you are mobile and can get from our launch onto the boat you will be fine. Lower limit 18 years of age.
· A wide range of boats from small racing boats for the experienced to cruising yachts up to 34ft long, all owned and skippered by
· No charge for the one to two hour session (You might even want to stay out longer!)
· We take you to the vessel on the clubs launch service and bring you back
· Meet at the club by arrangement with the owner/skipper
· Debrief and a coffee –or you can enjoy our club catering facilities as a guest at lunchtimes.
· We have excellent showers etc although on most of our boats you are unlikely to need one!
· Personal buoyancy will be provided, but bring your own if you have it –its more comfy.
· You will need soft soled shoes with a light colour sole for grip, warm clothing and preferably some waterproof over trousers –
golf or walking gear make good substitutes. Our owner will try to pick the better days of course!
A towel etc. if you feel you will want to shower, but see above.
· You will be in direct contact with your nominated skipper to arrange your trip so you can check whether it is “on” the morning prior.
The day will operate like this:
Meet at club at arranged time for introductions and kitting up
Walk down pontoon to the launch (you might wait for it to arrive –we do!)
Travel to boat –usually a 10 min trip on the launch
Board for a briefing and familiarisation.
Motor from mooring to sailing area then hoist sails
Sailing for approx. 1-2 hours dependant on conditions and mutual agreement with skipper, then return to mooring and return to club via launch.
If you have a morning trip, our lunch and snack service is available along with our splendid views.
Your skipper will want to get your feedback and see if you would like to do some more. We hope you do!