A comprehensive introduction to cruising for new skippers.
Classes are held at West Mersea Yacht Club in convivial surroundings and in a relaxed manner, we believe students benefit from the opportunity to discuss and learn in this forum.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
Course topics include:
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and lifecrafts
Contact Ian Low as above