The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF radio equipment on a UK flagged vessel. The qualification is essential if your vessel carries VHF radio and is increasingly a requirement if you are chartering in most areas of the world. The course includes both fixed and handheld equipment and at West Mersea the course is taught using modern DSC / VHF Training radios.
The course is one day with some prior study and concludes with a practical assessment and a short written test. Candidates must be 16 years of age or more on the date of the exam.
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
The course fee is £150 and this includes the cost of the licence (which is for life ) and all course materials and books. Students are required to bring one passport size photo.
TBA. Course planned for 28th March postponed indefinitely.
Please book by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ian Low on 07831 651255