The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF radio equipment on a UK flagged vessel. The qualification is essential if your vessel carries VHF radio and is increasingly a requirement if you are chartering in most areas of the world. The course includes both fixed and handheld equipment and at West Mersea the course is taught using modern DSC / VHF Training radios.
The course is one day with some prior study and concludes with a practical assessment and a short written test. Candidates must be 16 years of age or more on the date of the exam.
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
The course fee is £150 and this includes the cost of the licence (which is for life ) and all course materials and books. Students are required to bring one passport size photo.
There are no courses currently scheduled before the autumn, but if you require this qualification urgently then contact us as below.
If you require this important qualification please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ian Low at email@example.com